A common pest all of us have to deal with in the field is mosquitos. Even after spraying a generous amount of insect repellent, I find that I am still being attacked by them. Dryer sheets are suspected to help repel mosquitos. I ended up testing it out, and found that the dryer sheet I used worked better than the insect spray repellent. Out of curiosity, I did…Continue
Added by Natalie Cheetoo on August 29, 2012 at 4:51pm — No Comments
After a week of training, the newbies grew accustomed to the methods and procedures of tree inventorying. Tree inventorying involves measuring the DBH which is the diameter at breast height, finding the X and Y points for the trees, and identifying the species. Other information obtained might be whether or not the tree was leaning or any other distinguishable…Continue
Added by Natalie Cheetoo on August 29, 2012 at 2:07pm — No Comments
Hi all. Great to see your success with the arducopter octo! Hopefully things will work out as well with the hexa kit I've just put together.
After an initial flight there are some issues, the main one being GPS functionality. After a long day of troubleshooting I learned that apparently my RC receiver can't be placed too close to the GPS, or the GPS will fail to lock a signal.
My next steps are to confirm the GPS is working, learn how to use the ground station, get a camera…Continue
This is the Octocopter II, named thus because it is the second Octo I've built for Ecosynth, and because the prefixes were getting pretty clunky. This would be the Miko-Ardu-Octo-Copter, going by that standard. I ended up naming Octocopter I as "Doctor Octopus", so in the coming weeks I'll probably come up wth a similarly suited name for this copter.…Continue
While reading through one of the information technology blogs I follow, Eponymous Pickle, this post jumped out at me.
I was first drawn to the article because of the agent-based technologies it discusses, but its potential application to a tool like Ecosynth is…
Added by Nicholas Magliocca on August 13, 2012 at 11:30am — No Comments
This past Monday afternoon Jonathan and I went out to take the Arducopter on its first photo collection mission. The mission was a success! As you can see from the Arducopter's flight log displayed in Google Earth, the Arducopter completed a 250x250 meter photo collection. Like our hexacopter missions, this flight plan is actually 350x350 meters, to give us some good…Continue
After a short delay our tree tag reinforcements have arrived. We now have tags 1000-10,000 and plan to map both the Knoll and HR before the summer ends. This is a very ambitious goal but with the new members added to our team we are now mapping over 300 trees a…Continue
Added by Erik Paul Anderson on August 3, 2012 at 5:24pm — No Comments
This week we had new members start helping us. This allowed Andrew and I to go survey center points in Herbert Run while the others…Continue
Added by Dana Boyd on August 3, 2012 at 5:00pm — No Comments
After months of tagging, measuring, and databasing we have the first fruits of our labor. The image shows the inventoried tress on the west side of the Knoll organized by diameter at breast. More completed plots and species identification to follow.
Today Jonathan and I performed terrestrial LIDAR scanning of Plots 29 and 37. I learned how to operate the TLS today. I performed the entire scan of plot 37 and 29 from point 526 on my own. A couple of things that we noticed we need to possibly consider are a need to get out earlier in the day. The rain has been coming recently and it seems like we can only get about…Continue
It is with great satisfaction that I present Ecosynth's latest experimental aerial platform, the Arducopter Octo. This copter is controlled with an open source Arupilot board, and is built on a Mikrokopter Okto XL frame. preliminary testing is promising, I think the Ardu-octo will be able to complete our standard Ecosynth 250x250 meter photo collection…Continue